Friday, August 26, 2011

Self-image...ugh!

On this journey, I have really struggled overcoming negative thoughts toward this word-
SELF-IMAGE (the question defined by wikipedia): "What do YOU BELIEVE people think about you? 
For me, this is a tough question to answer.  AND a tough problem to admit to. I am one of those people who is very concerned about what others think and how others view all aspects of my life.  My husband would say, "who cares what anybody else says, does, etc...?"  Problem is, I do.  Maybe it stems from past life experiences, relationships, friendships.  It is, however, something I would like to overcome and another thing in my life I am trying to "let go".  Recently, I came across a quote that stopped me in my tracks and got me thinking: "To love someone is to show to them their beauty, their worth, and their importance." ~Jean Vanier
Part of what I have been lacking in my life is a true love for myself.  For too long I have looked to others for that feeling of love, to tell me I'm beautiful (inside and out), to show me I'm worthy and important.  AND too many times I have been let down, disappointed, and hurt because of it.  So, I am going to work on doing this for myself, loving myself, taking care of myself.  Because I am loveable, I am beautiful, I am worthy, and I am important.  And if I truly love myself, what others think won't matter anyway...

No comments: