Monday, September 12, 2011

Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity, but in doing it. ~Greg Anderson

A few weeks into the school year and the excitement has worn off, routine has set in, and the dread of feeling overwhelmed, overworked, and exhausted has overcome me.  Even the kids are feeling it as the first round of strep throat has taken over my classroom.  Now, more than ever, I need to stop and "smell the roses".  Sometimes I get so wrapped up in life; I make too many checklists, I take on too many tasks, I look for ways to make a problem harder than it is.  Then, I feel bogged down, stressed out, and exhausted.  And that leads to feelings of guilt, worry, fear, and what-if's.  Life starts spinning out of control; I panic, I argue, I get irritated with others, and frustrated at myself.  Sometimes, I just need to be reminded to "stop and smell the roses".  It's not about what needs to get done, how much I have to do, or how hard the problem is, it's about enjoying every moment along the way.  Instead of letting all of the above get the best of me, I need to stop; breathe in the beauty around me; smile; and enjoy the journey...

No comments: